Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Pauvre moi

I suppose if I'm going to be home sick all day, the least I can do is update the blog. This morning I woke up with a terrible fever and the inability to eat anything without suffering severe consequences. Mme VF immediately wondered, of course, how would this affect her. She quickly reminded me that this lame excuse did not get me out of cleaning my room and making the bed for the woman coming to see the place this afternoon. Yes, I knew this. As I left for the doctor's office, she demanded that I make sure to ask if what I had was contagious. As I assumed, the doctor thought this was a pretty silly question ("we're not talking about cholera here") and told me to be sure to wash my hands after using the toilet and not to share utensils with people. Upon returning, I related this to Mme VF who seems to think that the fever itself is the contagious thing. She told me how there had been two previous instances of people with fevers in my room (perhaps its contaminated?) and that the lady who had one made sure to keep at least 2 yards away from everyone else at all times, while the student who had a fever did not exercise such caution. She caught whatever the student had and is now a firm believer in the 2 yard rule. She even jumped back a little when I came in the apartment. Brilliant! If only I'd known it was this easy to keep her away. I think I'll hang on to the fever for the rest of my time here.

The doctor did mention that a blood test shows I have some degree of a bacterial infection, but that they don't like to prescribe antibiotics to young people. What? Is this some silly European tradition? Give me drugs, I say!!

In other news, last weekend I went camping in Sion, Switzerland. It was fabulous! For just about the first time since I've arrived, there was a whole day without rain, and it could almost be described as sunny. The campsite (which was really closer to a resort--the "tents" had refrigerators and cots in them) was right by a lake, so we swam and hiked up to the vineyards and the old castle in the middle of the town. Quite lovely.

Anyways, I think I shall get back to my full day of sleep now...

No comments: